For authors on book tour, don’t forget your …
Some people prepare long checklists when traveling. I don’t, in part because the checklist is inevitably missing some item anyway, in part because you can usually obtain with relative ease whatever it is that you forgot. But here’s my abbreviated checklist of must-have items for traveling authors:
1. Medication(s) — if applicable
2. Glasses / contacts (including an extra pair) — if applicable
3. Travel documents including a government-issued ID if you are flying
4. Rechargers for gadgets — if you can, recharge your gadgets fully before you leave so you don’t have to worry about a phone going dead, at least at the beginning of your tour. If you have a lot of gadgets (laptop, phone, iPod, Blackberry, ereader, etc.), consider bringing a surge suppressor. It sounds funny — after all, your Blackberry can recharge on the hotel bathroom floor — but a surge suppressor is convenient if you have the space for it in your luggage.
5. At least one extra copy of your book
6. A nice pen — please don’t sign books with Bic pens!
7. A change of clothes and basic toiletries that you carry in your carry-on bag if you are flying — pack as though your luggage will be lost. It’s a pain having to wait for lost luggage to arrive when you’re on vacation and spending a week in one location. It’s about 10 times worse not having lost luggage arrive before you have to decamp the next morning for the next book tour stop.
What other items are “must haves” for authors on book tour? Comment at will.