Sending books to the Cincinnati Enquirer
Sara Pearce is the only person at the Cincinnati Enquirer who should be receiving books. Although they no longer run book reviews, there are opportunities for features (in some cases). She took the time to explain in a little more detail:
“We now write about books of local-local interest only, which means it is:
– by an author/illustrator who lives here now
– by an author/illustrator who lived here for a long time (which means at least four or five years) and/or has long-time ties to Cincinnati (grew up here)
– by an author/illustrator coming here on tour
– set here or about here/the area
– something HUGE – like Harry Potter huge – that I could develop a local angle for
I do not review books – no one on our staff does. Staff book reviews were dropped a few years ago in favor wire reviews. I do, however, write a weekly notes column, briefs, features and interviews.
I would like to continue to receive catalogs to look for books meeting our criteria. But please remove us from your mailing list for publicity, galleys and books that do not fall within the parameters above. If you could spread the word around your offices, I’d appreciate it.
Also: I should be the only person at the Enquirer on your mailing list at this point. If a book falls outside my realm, I pass it along to the beat reporters and editors. We’re trying to cut back on the massive amount of mail from publishers and time we spend handling it.
Other people whose names you may have on your mailing list but who should be removed are:
– Jennifer Schwertman (copy editor who was filling in when books beat was empty)
– Margaret McGurk (now a reporter in Local News)
– Paul Clark (A&E editor, passes the books to me, so no point sending them to him)
– Ann Haas (Deputy Features Editor, passes the books along)
– Jim Knippenberg (he stopped covering books years ago)
– Laura Schwed (she left the paper about 6 years ago)
– Pamela Fisher (she left the paper last summer)
– John Wolfe (he compiles calendars, does not need to receive books for touring authors – it duplicates what I get)
– John Johnston (family reporter who does not write about books on his beat and asked me to add him to this note)
– Lauren Bishop (also does not cover books and also asked that I include her name here).
Also II: We no longer have a movie critic (that was McGurk), so please refrain from sending those titles to us if there is no local connection because we are not writing about them.
Important PS: Want a book(s) to come directly to me, please please please ask for it to be marked “special request” or “requested material” or something like on the envelope. Otherwise, our news aides open the books and I’m finding that – sadly – books are getting borrowed/lost/misplaced/stolen.”